A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Thursday, December 01, 2005

“Peanut Butter Jelly Time” Explained

So I’m watching Adult Swim last night as I’m falling asleep; my usual routine has me in bed around 11 pm with the TV programmed to turn itself off at midnight, and I rarely stay awake long enough to see whichever show is starting at 11:30. But last night I got to bed late because I was playing Civilization IV (just one more turn!) and I caught the funniest frickin’ commercial I’ve ever seen: Brian from Family Guy in a banana costume doing a rendition of The Buckwheat Boy’s “Peanut Butter Jelly Time”. I damn near peed my pants.




Kevin of THEORY.ISTHEREASON has an explanation of how all this started; the whole “dancing banana set to Peanut Butter Jelly Time” thing was apparently a big Internet culture phenomenon a few years back. Yeah, I missed that one too, but here is a link to the original video from eBaum’s World.

Brian’s interpretation (or Seth Green’s, if your nitpicky) is way better. He, you know, captures the very soul of the thing. I’m gonna have to get a little Peanut Butter Jelly Brian to use as my online avatar. Yep.


S

|