A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Monday, May 02, 2005

The Poetry of Wolves

An online aquaintence of mine has recently started her own blog; Wolvespirit Productions is where Moonie (known to some of us better as Howlingmoon) will be posting her poetry and other thoughts. The woman certainly loves her wolves, so I thought I'd post a picture to welcome her to the blogosphere:


Four Wolves in Winter Posted by Hello

These four seem like particularly robust and powerful examples of the breed. If I had to guess, I'd say that the two larger, darker-colored individuals in the rear are males while the slightly smaller ones in front are females. When looking at a photo like this, it is interesting to remember that wolves are the ancestors of modern dogs. Yes, even your aunt's annoying teacup poodle is only about 20,000 years removed from the original canis stock. Strange but true.

Persoanlly, I think wolves are rather interesting and beautiful beasts. That is probably why I prefer dogs that resemble their more feral forbearers; German Shepards, Siberian Huskies, and Akitas are probably my favorites as far as dog breed goes. One day, when I have my own place with a decent-sized yard, I will have a Shepard.

Anyway, those of you who like poetry should go pay Moonie a visit. She has links to all sorts of funny gaming-related webcomics, too, making it doubly worth your time.


S

|