A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Friday, January 07, 2005

Crossfire Canceled

(Found on Ace Of Spades)

CNN has fired Tucker Carlson, and appears to be planning on getting rid of Crossfire as well.

For once, I actually find myself in full agreement with Jonathon Klein:

He said all of the cable networks, including CNN, have overdosed on programming devoted to arguing over issues. Klein said he wants more substantive programming that is still compelling.

"I doubt that when the president sits down with his advisers they scream at him to bring him up to date on all of the issues," he said. "I don't know why we don't treat the audience with the same respect."


This is the reason I don't watch Hannity & Colmes. After a few minutes of such programming, I can't seem to help but feel abused and frustrated. The format is absolutely incapable of finding solutions to issues. The format is nothing more or less than a copy of The Jerry Springer Show, with Policy Wonks as trailer trash. Amazing how easily they wear the role.

So listen up, MSM (including FOX):

It's weak programming like this that made the Internet my primary source for information. I like my news unfiltered, thank you. I'm smart enough to draw my own conclusions, so if you continue to think so little of me that you feel I must be bludgeoned into ideological submission, you will never have me in your audience.

And I don't think I am alone, given the growing numbers of everyday Joes, just like myself, availing themselves of the wealth of collected knowledge that is the internet.

|