A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Monday, December 13, 2004

Blogger Challenge, and Monday Links

Rockynogin has entered The Alliance in Spirit of America’s Blogger Challenge. So far our turn out, in both donations and team members, has fallen somewhat short of amazing. As of now we have three blogs supporting our team (Cornpone, Bad Example, and yours truly) and about $50 in our donation jar. Many, many thanks to those who are donating and blogging; those who haven’t yet need to go here and donate (and if you’re an Alliance blogger you need to post about this and link it). Do so now. Now!

I know people who read this blog that certainly have $10, $25, or $50 to spare. I pepper my posts with inside jokes and Simpsons quotes for you guys, an honor for which you each owe me your very souls. I’d better see some money hitting that donation jar or I’ll be looking for other … beings … who might like to option said souls.

And because I know you’re thinking it: No, you are not smarter than the Devil.

To be honest, I don’t really care if you fine readers donate through our team or not – just as long as the money gets to Spirit of America. Puddle Pirate is also collecting and links a great story from two decades back; Baldilocks – the story’s author – is taking donations as well.

And it’s been a while since I linked to Al Barger. He’s got a very interesting post from a couple days ago, one that I guarantee all of my agnostic and atheist readers will find both odd and intriguing. I certainly did.

Lastly, Canadian reporter David Warren questions attitudes in his own country and Europe about democracy and The East. Money quote:


As one of my own Arab correspondents put it, "If one has been occupied for some time by the Saud family, or the Assad family, or the Mubarak family, let alone the Hussein family, one begins rather to envy the sort of people who get to be occupied by the Bush family."


For the record, I’m skeptical of the idea that Canadians and Europeans are unwilling to do anything about Islamic Fascism and Radicalism because they’re racists. I think it’s more likely because they live fat, indolent, child-like lives under social democracy and are thusly unwilling to see the threat that will one day force them to give it up. But the article makes some good points in any case. Hat tip to The Tiger in Winter.

That’s it for today. Remember to give, give, give to Spirit of America, and have a nice Monday. BPCP update within the next couple days.


S

|