A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Monday, November 15, 2004

Monday Linkfest

Today’s mission: 1) Get through Monday at the office. 2) Visit Mom on the way home from work. 3) Buy a new video card after visiting Mom. 4) Waste rest of life playing EverQuest II.

Assuming Comp USA hasn’t started protecting their video card supply with a piranha-filled moat, I think I can handle it. Those of you with hardware expertise are welcome to leave suggestions in the comments; I need something that is DirectX 9 compatible with pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware and has 64 MB of texture memory. And I’d like to keep it under $200.

Here’s what’s going on around the blogosphere this morning:

One of the best side-effects of Bush winning re-election is that Frank J.’s In My World series can continue with all of our favorite characters intact. Today’s installment features the all-to-seldom seen Melinda Hawkish:


"FOX News lets you carry a gun?" Bush asked.

"This is America," Melinda answered, "I don't need permission from anyone to carry a gun."

"Actually, it's Iraq," Buck said.

"Whatever." Melinda then turned to her camerawoman. "Make sure you have the lens cap off this time; this is a historic peace summit and we have a FOX exclusive."

"Okay, but can I have the flak jacket on the way back?"

"No."


Speaking of funny, Cox & Forkum always have great political cartoons on their main page. Some of their recent offerings – like this and this – have been really good. My favorite is this one, however:


Cox & Forkum 11Aug04 Posted by Hello

I wonder if the left – or the mainstream media – will ever really understand what happened in the 2004 presidential election.

And lastly, it looks like S. Michael Moore – perhaps the blogosphere’s most unfortunately-named Libertarian – is back to posting over at FukiBlog. He’s got a great piece on tax reform which includes an interesting link to something called “The Fair Tax”. The Fair Tax idea seems like a good one, though I’m certainly no tax expert and I’m sure there are a hundred reasons why opponents will say it can’t or shouldn’t be done. I'll be reading up on this when time permits.

Michael has also brought back Girl Friday, and his most recent entry is a picture of Josie Maran. Miss Maran is the only model I can actually recognize just by looking at a photograph of her; she came across as remarkably bright and sexy in an interview I happened across last year, separating her from the herd of cute, nameless chicks on magazine covers.

Excellent choice, Michael. Later, good readers. I who am about to game salutes you!


S

|