A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

BEALed

I think Susie of Practical Penumbra coined the term in this post. A “Beal” is a reflexive reason for not doing something:

“I can’t blog today, I have a Beal”

“What’s a Beal.”

“It’s the reason I can’t blog.”

In the comments of the original explanation, one of Susie’s readers made it into an acronym: Blogger Ennui, Apathy, and Lethargy. Basically you don’t feel like writing because you don’t feel like writing.

Well, I’ve got it. I can’t figure out if it’s because:

1) Winter is coming, which is generally a period of sluggishness for me. The BEAL concept was first articulated last winter, in fact.

2) President Bush won the election, robbing me of some of my drive to blog. It’s hard to get excited about crushing the political left when they’ve just recently been pretty well crushed.

3) I really want to spend my computer time playing EverQuest II. This seems like a likely explanation, but the fact is that I still have time during lunch to blog when I can’t play EQ II. I still can’t think of anything interesting to say.

However, the term BEAL did make me think of Jennifer Beals, the woman from Flashdance. That, in turn, made me think of Jessica Biel (they’re pronounced quite similarly, you see) and so I decided to post a picture of her.


Jessica Biel Posted by Hello

I think poor Jessica got in trouble for this shot (among others). It was a bit too provocative for her character’s squeaky-clean image in whichever WB show she was starring at the time. I happen to like it, and I think it’s classy enough to not make a big deal about. She’s a free adult, after all; if you don’t like sexy young actresses, don’t buy the magazines their pictures appear in.

Wow. A whole post about having nothing to post. And you got a picture of Jessica Biel.


S

|