A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Happy Birthday to Me

I'm 35 today. I consider it to be the official end of my youth; the mid-summer of my days are upon me. It's a good place to be, provided you don't have too many regrets. I have but two: I wish I'd been more honest when I was a young man, and I wish I'd served my country for a few years (those three or four years right after high school would have been perfect ... I didn't do anything but hang out on the beach and get into trouble anyway). But no one lives a perfect life, and as far as regrets go mine aren't so difficult to live with. I have a lot to be thankful for, including a great family, amazing friends, a good education, good health, and a blog with steadily increasing readership.

Anyway, enough about me and my birthday. There's no big essay today, just a couple items from The Zoo's e-mail bucket:

1) I've been nominated for a Faithless Award. Such awards "are presented to carefully selected websites that proudly demonstrate secularism, pluralism, empiricism, and eschew religious faith as a valid worldview." I'm not sure who nominated me, but thanks to whoever did ... I'm happy to display the link and be listed on the United Universist web site.

2) I've been link-begged for the first time. Eric of EricRocksTheWorld has asked to be listed in The Zoo's "blogs of note" section. His blog is pretty cool - he's a budding young photoshopper and a conservative - but he does not yet rate a spot on that blogroll. For now, Eric, you will have to be satisfied with a regular link; if you're still blogging a few months down the road we'll see about squeezing you in there between Bill Whittle and Metallica Rat.

That's all for today folks. Enjoy your hump day (Note to non-Americans: That means "middle of the week", it's not anything x-rated) and I'll be back tomorrow with some thoughts on the first two debates.


S


Update: Speaking of Bill Whittle, he's posted Part I and Part II of DETERRENCE (Whittle essays are a great birthday present). Both are excellent, and since he pretty much sums up the issue of the first debate I'll have to think of something else to post about tomorrow. Damn you Whittle! *Shakes Fist*


|