A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Thursday, September 09, 2004

America as a Just Aggressor

Due to technical difficulties with Blogger, this post comes in a day late, so welcome back to Sandor, fresh from his perilous journeys to the Dark and Dangerous land of Atlanta. Here then, is what I was thinking about a couple days ago:

______________________



I've been in a particularly dark mood lately, from the events of last week in Russia, so I haven't been able to complete my piece on Space.

I've been busy reading Cap'n's Quarters, Powerline, and reading and commenting to Eject cubed, as well as IMAO and Mountaineer Musings in an attempt to lighten up. I've also been answering email, so I figured I would drop one of my emails here, as it holds up fairly well against charges of moral iniquity as an argument for action.

-------------------------------

“On March 19, 2004, President Bush asked, “Who would prefer that Saddam's torture chambers still be open?’ Shamefully, we now learn that Saddam's torture chambers reopened under new management--US management.” -- Ted Kennedy

I'm not very familiar with My Lai, except as a passing reference. As cruel as that episode may have been, history has proven that it was not representative of the U.S. Some, like Ted Kennedy, would argue that the Abu Ghraib incident is proof that we are on the same moral plane as Saddam. However, the fact that the military self-policed this prior to any sort of media circus shows how far indeed we have come out of the barbarism that we all descend from.

I have become familiar with the realities of war, and with the deplorable depths humanity shows all too much interest in plumbing. I've looked at a lot of sites on the internet, read a lot of stories about previous wars and the current conflicts, and particularly reviewed many accounts of the actions happening in Afghanistan and Iraq. Worse, I've seen pictures and videos of the horrors these creatures we call Terrorists visit upon their victims.

There are so many things I've seen that I almost wish I hadn't, but, like so many things in life, being a grown-up in this world means making the best decisions I can based on the fullest information. Seeing a young Russian soldier held down with a knee pressed against his head while an ululating savage screaming Alu Akbar saws at his throat with a dull knife is not something I would force anyone else to see. But having seen that, and having seen the images of Islamic women dressed in white gowns to better contrast the blossoms of blood as they are stoned to death in sports arenas for having done the unforgiveble act of having been raped, gives me a certain insight into the darkness our enemy wishes upon us under Sharia.

I would never force anyone to watch these things. They are absolutely brutal and can leave you in that sort of numb resonance you feel after having bounced your head off an icy sidewalk. But I have absolutely no respect for those who would argue for dialogue with these brutes under the pretense of moral equivalency, all the while averting their eyes from the incontrovertable: these barbarians are NOT LIKE US. And they don't want to be.

Atrocities happen every single day. What distinguishes us from the ululating animals is how we respond to those atrocities.

They rush to the streets chanting and singing and cheering when 156 children are cut down from behind when fleeing the martyrs of a Death Cult, vowing more death, more mayhem, more Terror.

We, on the other hand, resolve to bring our malefactors to justice. We rightly decry those among us who eschew the tenets of good citizenship and prop them up for everyone to see as an example of how NOT to be.

And then we, most of us I'd like to think, resolve to be better.

We ignore those differences, and we ignore the resolve of the enemy, at the greatest of perils.

|