A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Monday, June 14, 2004

Powerless

Well, one of our badass summer thunderstorms knocked out the power in our neighborhood yesterday afternoon. It still hadn't come back on when I got up this morning, so I'm unshaven for work and facing a fridge full of spoiled food when I get home. Grrr. Stupid TECO!

Anyway, about my late-night outburst (see previous post): Apologies for the self-indulgent hand wringing. It's difficult to be called "right wing" when you're a nonreligious social liberal ... being lumped in with the likes of Pat Buchanan and Ann Coulter is demoralizing. But I've made my political decisions carefully and informedly, and I believe they are the right ones. Other's misconceptions - no matter how close and important those others might be to you - do not change what is right.

The good folks involved have been e-mailed links to some of the posts I've made here that clearly delineate the difference between conservative and libertarian. Reading them and understanding them is another matter; one hopes that self-described liberals are open enough to carefully consider differing viewpoints. I guess we'll see.

More to come on this, probably.


S

|