A Menagerie of Outspoken Opinions on Science, World Politics, and Geek Culture

Monday, May 31, 2004

Memorial Day

Everyone is blogging about American soldiers today. That's a good thing; we owe them a debt that, as President Bush says, "is beyond our power to repay". I agree with The President precisely, and along with the rest of a grateful nation I say "Thank You" to those who gave everything so that we could be free.

Instead of making another lengthy tribute to our fallen heros - I'm sure you've all read about a dozen today - I would like to remind everyone that we have many servicemen and servicewomen abroad at this very moment. They are far from home and doing a dangerous job, and like anyone else they can get frightened, lonely, and sad when they're half a world away from those they love. But sometimes just a letter and a box of Oreos can go far towards alleviating such things, and Operation Gratitude is making sure our soldiers get them. I urge all of you to join me in throwing some money their way to help out.

Everyone enjoy their cookouts.


S

|